25. tammikuuta 2012

The Little Prince


I came across The Little Prince not until my early teen years. It wasn’t one of those bedtime stories that my parents read to me and my sister. I guess I wanted a little more action and ponies and courageous little boys in my bedtime stories back then. But, then, my dear friend, Kirsi, had written a quotation from the Little Prince on my farewell gift (I was leaving living abroad).

I came so deeply interested in this Little Prince that I bought the book. First, in Finnish, and then, in English.  Putting more and more time and effort in this lovely story I finally understood the hidden meanings in the story, and maybe found something more valuable along my way. At one point I wanted to be just like The Little Prince – he’s my hero! One of my dreams is to find The Little Prince in all languages. So, where ever I go in my travels I look for my Little Prince.

On the back of the book reads: “On one level it is the story of an airman’s discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet – the Little Prince of the title – and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition.”

Forgive me for not getting more deeply in my thoughts and the meanings I had put in this story. Let me just share my favourite line:

‘When you look up at the sky at night, since I shall be living on one of them and laughing on one of them, for you it will be as if all the stars were laughing. You and only you will have stars that can laugh.’ And as he said it he laughed: ‘And when you are comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you will be happy to have known me. You will always be my friend. You will want to laugh with me. And from time to time you will open your window, just for the pleasure of it… And your friends will be astonished to see you laughing whilst gazing at the sky. And so you will say to them, “Yes, stars always make me laugh’.

I hope that we all have a Little Prince in our lives as our friend. I recently lost mine.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Muutama sana markkinoinnista #kekäle

Tiäks sen tunteen, kun lähdet jahtaamaan sitä Canada Goosea? Sitä tunnetta, kun olet mainoksesta lukenut, että "kaikista normaalihin...